Float On, Floating Shelf.
I love our kitchen. But it wasn’t always such a love-connection. Here’s the poor lady when we first bought her:
It’s an average size kitchen, but that existing layout made it seem much smaller. We were seeking brightness, so when we were planning our renovation we opted to omit the use of upper cabinets, and used open shelving instead. Even halfway through the remodel, the kitchen was looking 1000 brighter and better. We just needed to find wall shelves.
The company we used for our kitchen cabinets was Cliq, but they did not offer an open shelving choice. So Mr. Heatherland found Custom Floating Shelves, a FL based business that promised to make custom wooden shelves that were sturdy enough to hold some serious weight, and they could color match any finish.
I ordered 6 of them, to hold all our plates, bowls, glasses and stemware. When the shelves arrived, the packaging was awesome (so awesome it took me about 45 minute to unpack them) and the quality of the shelves was beyond my best expectation. These guys know their stuff! I couldn’t have been happier with the style, the wood, and how perfectly the color matches my cabinets.
On their website, the installation page states: “Floating shelf installation is simple in concept but requires tools and skill beyond most DIY’ers. It is a job for a seasoned and skilled finish carpenter. These directions are intended as a reference for a building professional.”
Which I interpreted as: “Heather, you can totally do this.”
How To Hang Floating Shelves
- Mark the studs (at least two of them).
- Mock-up the iron bracket on the wall, use a level to ensure placement. Then, with a speed-square mark on the bracket where holes for the studs should be drilled.
- Using a drill press, drill the holes. When drilling metal, it’s easiest to start with a small pilot hole then incrementally increase the size of your bit until you reach the desired hole size.
- Secure the bracket on the wall, with lag screws into the studs.
- Gently slip the shelf on the bracket.
Then enjoy the view of the finished project. Our kitchen turned out great and the open shelves make all the difference in brightening up the space.