The first 10 days have flown by.
While I was obsessively scraping the popcorn ceilings, Mr. Heatherland was busy ripping it apart the bathroom apart. Even the sub-floor was not untouched.
The bathroom was in such disrepair that if we (he) didn’t start over from scratch it would not look perfect no matter how hard we tried. We will be laying large format tiles on the floor and the walls, which are much more unforgiving than smaller tiles.
New PEX plumbing was used, a new subfloor it is laid, and the transition between the bathroom and the hall will be seamless now. Raised thresholds are soooo last year.
He also pulled up the last of the pergo floor in the kitchen only to reveal the original linoleum floor … it is, of course, glued and screwed to the subfloor.
Our electrician was brought into play. This 31 year old house will be getting an entire re-wire, new panel box, and plenty of recessed lighting to keep me happy. Currently the wiring is so confusing and not up to code that it’s better just to start from scratch.
And for me, well… call me Patch Adams. I have gone through about a gallon of drywall compound (seriously), and I’ve mastered using a pole sander. The goal is to make these kitchen walls look like they weren’t supporting cabinets for the last three decades. Afterall, our open concept design needs clean walls.
While waiting for all that to dry, I pulled thousands of staples from the subfloor, and chiseled off the kitchen backsplash. Mr. Heatherland loaded up 2000 pounds of demo debris, and signed for multiple deliveries. So far we have received our Schluter shower system, the bathroom lighting, the bathroom fan, the bathroom vanity, and the flooring for the whole dang house.
Eight weeks to go.